A skilled counselor / therapist can support and help your teen deal with the challenges and problems they are having. There are a variety of counselors and therapists who work with teens so it’s helpful to know what to look for in finding the best fit for your troubled teen. Here are essential questions to ask in choosing a counselor / therapist to help your teen.
- How long have you been in practice?
- Are you a member of a professional organization?
- What experience do you have with the particular problem my teen is struggling with?
- What license do you have and is it current?
- Describe how you will work with my teen.
- Will other family members be involved in the therapy process?
- How do you establish goals for therapy and measure progress?
- Please you explain the therapy approach you use.
After getting answers to these questions, consider how well the therapist has described their approach and how they come across in doing so. Ideally, your teen needs to be part of this process, even when you are the one insisting they participate in therapy.