- Does the program offer children appropriate educational opportunities while they are in care?
- What steps will be taken to be sure the child has a smooth transition back to a school in the community afterwards?
Education is crucial to life success and this is especially true for children with academic, emotional or behavioral challenges.
While some programs provide education on-site, others use local schools or other providers to meet the educational needs of participants. High quality residential programs ensure that children have access to the best educational resources including certified teachers and special education teachers.
Other questions to ask:
- How does the program provide education?
- Are the teachers certified?
- When education is not provided on-site, how do you coordinate with teachers and other educators to ensure school success?
- How do you coordinate with at home school districts to be sure each child has needed school support services in place when they are discharged?