A skilled counselor / therapist can support and help your teen deal with the challenges and problems they are having. There are a variety of counselors and therapists who work with teens so it’s helpful to know what to look for in finding the best fit for your troubled teen. Here are essential questions to […]
The duration of any kind of addiction treatment is dependent upon the condition of the client, the type of addiction they are suffering from, and the severity of the effects of substance abuse. The treatment can be an outpatient treatment program or an inpatient one. When it’s the latter, the treatment can last as short […]
- Does the program track whether a child or young adult is making progress towards their goals and make changes when needed?
- Can the program clearly describe what the criteria are for discharge and graduation?
- What will happen should there be a disagreement about my child’s readiness for discharge / graduation?
In collaboration with families, quality […]
Is the program using medications safely and appropriately?
Many children and young adults with emotional and behavioral challenges need medication, even if just for a short period of time. The best outdoor therapeutic programs will accept those on medication, however, they will not change medication on anyone in an outdoor setting.
Medication may need to be evaluated […]
- Does the program understand that many children and young adults have experienced overwhelming stress and/or trauma?
- Does the program work to avoid situations that can re-traumatize children, teens and young adults?
- Does the program have trained trauma therapists on staff?
Many children and young adults with behavioral or developmental needs serious enough to require residential […]
- Is the program going to support the parents when their child or young adult comes home?
- Does the program keep children or young adults involved in community activities even when they are in care?
- Does the program prepare young adults to live independently?
Among the most difficult times for children and young adults as well […]
Are the staff members interested in and respectful of different cultures and family structures?
Although it is obvious that a child who doesn’t speak English won’t benefit from a program that literally does not speak their language, there are many other cultural issues that are not so immediately visible. There are also other family dynamics now […]
- Does the program offer children appropriate educational opportunities while they are in care?
- What steps will be taken to be sure the child has a smooth transition back to a school in the community afterwards?
Education is crucial to life success and this is especially true for children with academic, emotional or behavioral challenges.
While some […]
Will all of the people working with the child or young adult meet or speak regularly with the parents as a team to talk about the child’s plan and how things are working?
A Child and Family Team (CFT) is the group of advocates, educational consultants, providers, educators, family members and others who know the child and who […]
- Are restraints used only when a child truly endangers themselves or others?
- Is the staff trained to reduce the need for restraints, apply restraints safely, and avoid the use of seclusion?
Unsafe use of restraint is one of the biggest risks children face in outdoor therapeutic and residential programs. Restraint and seclusion have no therapeutic […]